Saturday, January 19, 2013

Chicken Lasagna

Crap.  I took a picture of my pretty, assembled lasagnas with the blogger app on my phone but when I came on her to finish the post, I accidentally deleted it...then blogger quickly saved it.  So sorry, but it's gone...next time.

To finish off my meals for the February meal swap, I assembled the chicken lasagnas tonight.  I had cooked and diced the boneless chicken breasts last night while the chili was cooking so tonight, I just had to shred cheeses and put them all together.  They look pretty delicious, although I can not boast this as a 'low fat' recipe with all the cheese and canned soup! I have never made chicken lasagna before so I googled around for a highly rated recipe and this was what I came up with.  I did use low fat versions of the soups, sour cream, mayo and cheddar cheese, so hopefully that helps a bit with the calories/fat content!

I decided not to cook precook the lasagna before freezing.  At our last gathering, we discussed how it takes almost as long to reheat it thoroughly as it does to cook it, so it might be just as well to freeze it uncooked.  I was a little hesitant about how the oven ready lasagna noodles would freeze (I always use them!!) but google tells me it shouldn't pose any issues. We'll have to wait for the reviews on this one.

Many of the reviewers of this recipe suggested the onions taste better if they are cooked, so I sauteed them in a bit of olive oil before assembling.

Confessional time: I just realized I used 1/2 cup of mayo rather than 1/4 cup and I didn't have garlic salt, so I used garlic powder!  Hopefully shouldn't impact the taste too much...I figure there is probably enough salt in here with the canned soups anyway.

9 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cream of
chicken soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream
of mushroom soup
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. In a medium bowl, combine chicken soup, mushroom soup, onion, Parmesan cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and garlic salt.In a 9x13 inch baking dish, layer 1/3 of the noodles, soup mixture, chicken and cheese; repeat 3 times, ending with cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.



















No comments:

Post a Comment