Friday, January 18, 2013

White Chili

Tonight I made up 5 batches of White Chili, or I'm Dreaming of a White Chili as it is called in the Eat, Shrink & Be Merry cookbook by the Podleski sisters. 

While I was cooking tonight I had an interesting reflection.  Each month, when I get ready to make my next round of bulk meals I get a little bit excited.  Once the recipes are chosen and we are off on our own to enjoy the meals that we've made, I start looking forward to the next round of bulk cooking.  I particularly enjoy bulk grocery shopping.  There is something very satisfying about buying 10 large cans of white kidney beans or 24 chicken breasts, I'm not sure what it is exactly...but I feel like I must be doing something important when my cart is filled with all these wonderful and massive amounts of ingredients!  Then I come home and can't wait for my family to leave the kitchen so I can get started.  Generally there is music or TV in the background and occasionally, a sip of wine...and then I merrily start cutting, washing and stirring and planning how I will carry out my task.  I tend to double recipes and try not to venture into tripling or quadrupling (if that's a word) because I'm scared it will throw off the consistency of some of the recipes and plus - my math stinks! So the first doubled batch usually goes quite smoothly.  While that one is cooking or simmering, I prep for the next round....and this is when I start getting tired.  So very tired of chopping, of being on my feet and of doing sinkfuls of dishes as I try to keep the mess to a minimum! Then I start questioning why I even decided to do this in the first place, when the evening is so short and I'm so tired! Round 2 is never as much fun as round 1 but at least the end comes into sight, so I carry on...but the excitement dulls and I really just want to be done so I can go and relax!  This happens every single time.

So here is the first of two recipes that I am making for February's swap.  Sorry for the lack of pictures lately, I'll try to do better at that!

I'm Dreaming of A White Chili

2 tsp. olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (roughly 1.5 lbs) cut into 1" cubes

1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 cup diced celery
2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp each ground cumin & dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground coriander 

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 can (14 oz./385 mL) evaporated 2% milk
2 cans (19 oz./540 mL) navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (4.5 oz./127 mL) chopped green chilies
1/2 tsp each salt and ground white or black pepper
1/4 tsp  cayenne pepper
1 cup light sour cream
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese and chopped green onions for garnish, if desired.


1. Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick soup pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring/flipping constantly, until no longer pink. Add onions, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir for another 4-5 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.

2. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, and coriander. Mix well and cook for 1 more minute. Add flour and stir until chicken is well coated. Stir in broth and evaporated milk. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.

3. Add navy beans, green chilies, salt, pepper and cayenne to chicken mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.


4. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and cilantro. Ladle chili into serving bowls and top with cheese and green onions, if desired.


I did not add the sour cream or cilantro.  I have read so much about sour cream/cream cheesing not freezing well and it sort of acts as more of a garnish (after the soup is cooked and removed from heat) so I think I will leave that to the receivers to add themselves.

And for the vegetarian in our group, I used portebello mushroom caps instead of chicken and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.  I sampled a taste and seemed pretty good - but I will have to let their family give the final review!

No comments:

Post a Comment