Sunday, March 10, 2013

Lentil Soup

A friend of mine forwarded me this recipe this summer, and I loved it, very colourful and flavourful with unusual combination of ingredients.  I adjusted a few things to make it suitable for our vegetarian friends and it freezes well.  I've divided this one up into two ziplock bag portions per batch, as it does make a very large pot.
 
Lentil Soup
 
Olive oil
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 box of chicken broth
4 cups water
1 cup salsa
4 sausages ( remove casing and cut up)
1 chicken breast – bone in/skinless
1 cup lentils
½ cup barley
1 bag spinach
1 can chick peas
 
Cook onion, garlic and sausage then barley and cook for about a minute more.  Then add chicken broth, water, chicken and lentils.  Bring to a boil and then lower heat and continue to cook for about 30 minutes.  Remove chicken & shred it.  Add it back to the soup along with the chickpeas, spinach and salsa.

Cook's Notes: In place of 4 sausages I used 1 lb of ground sausage meat.  I also used baby spinach leaves in place of full leaf spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment