Monday, September 30, 2013

Chicken Massaman Curry



Chicken Massaman Curry
I can take no credit for this one, got it from a coworker who found it online.  It is delicious!

Prep Time
20 Min
Cook Time
35 Min
Ready In
55 Min
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons curry paste (or more if you like it HOT)
  • 3/4 inch thick slice ginger, minced
  • 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 3 tablespoons tamarind paste (I use Worcestershire Sauce)
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter (I probably double this because I like it THICK)
  • 3 cups peeled, cubed potatoes (I use sweet potatoes and boil them until they are almost cooked)
  • 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk (I use the LITE coconut milk)
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Directions

·          Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the cubed chicken, and cook until the pieces turn white on the outside, about 3 minutes.
·          Stir in curry paste and minced ginger; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
·          Stir in brown sugar, fish sauce, tamarind paste, peanut butter, potatoes, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender and the chicken pieces are no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes.
·          Add the lime juice and cook for an additional 5 minutes before serving.
·          Serve on basmati rice with naan bread.
OPTIONS FROM OTHER PEOPLE
Ø  use lite coconut milk and I added some carrots, basil and unsalted cashews
Ø  start off frying the paste first with the oil for a couple minutes and then add the creamy part of the coconut milk. I also didn't add peanut butter, because I think that's cheating kind of and another user complained about the thickness of the curry (I like mine soupy, too). I would just use peanuts, throwing them in with the potatoes or at the end, and maybe peanut oil to fry it all up with.
Ø  sweet potato instead of white and added onions and carrots as per another reviewer's suggestion.
Ø  Nutritional InformationThe only thing I substituted was equal parts Worcestershire sauce for the Tamarind paste. I added onions, sweet potatoes and a few strips of bell pepperChicken Massaman CurServings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 690

1 comment:

  1. Your recipe looks great. Thank you for sharing the recipe information in detail. I like it and I will give a try for sure. For me, the chicken Massaman curry recipe will always be preferred over other recipes. I tried to cook for the first time after watching Watcharee’s chicken massaman curry recipe and it turned out fantastically. I expect the same with your recipe. Let me try and share feedback for sure.

    ReplyDelete