Sunday, September 8, 2013

Slow Cooker Beef Barley Stew

I can't give my review on this one as I just froze a couple of bags for the freezer for later.  I have tried a few beef stews from the "freezer recipe" collections and not all have been good but this one seemed a bit different.  And I really enjoy the barley instead of potato!  I took this from the Happy Money Saver site. She says she puts everything except carrots and water in the bag, uncooked, for freezing then tosses it all into the slow cooker.  I decided to par boil the carrots to get them a bit soft and threw them in as well. So I will only need to add water on the day of cooking!  I'll let you know what I think when we have it.

1 lb Beef Stew Meat, (diced small)
1 1/4 cups sliced or chopped carrot
1 1/4 cups chopped onion 
 3/4 cup chopped celery
5 Cups Water
1 tsp parsley flakes
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp granulated sugar
2 TBSP Beef Bouillon powder
1/2 cup pearl barley
15 oz can tomato sauce
Place all ingredients in a 5 quart slow cooker or Crockpot. Stir it up. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours on low or 4-5 hours on High.

No comments:

Post a Comment