Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Chicken (or Turkey!) Divan

This is my hubby's favorite recipe!  I think it is his favorite part of a big turkey dinner, knowing that we will have turkey divan the following day.  I first received this recipe from his mother and since then I have experimented with a few variations of this recipe from online sources, but this is probably the simplest and easiest version out there - and it tastes great, too!  It should be served over a bed of rice to make it a meal.

2 bunches cooked broccoli
4 cups of cubed, cooked chicken (or turkey)
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1/2 cup of grated cheese
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp curry powder
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
1 tbsp of butter

Cook broccoli and spread into a buttered casserole dish (I used Pam spray).  Top with turkey. Combine soup, mayo, lemon juice, curry powder and cheese.  Pour over meat.  Top with butter and bread crumbs.  Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.  Cut in squares to serve (I find it more soupy than dense, so we usually just scoop it out on our rice).

The vegetarian version substituted sauteed mushrooms for the chicken and cream of mushroom soup instead of chicken.  You could experiment with any cream soup and flavors you like.  This recipe didn't originally call for curry but I added it after trying another divan recipe that used curry, and really liked it!


2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'm really looking forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori this sounds great, I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete