Monday, April 1, 2013

Sundried Tomato Pesto Veggie Pizza (now that's a mouthful!)

This is one of my favourite homemade pizzas and I was happy when T suggested it for the next swap. It's really the pesto sauce that makes the difference. There's no recipe per se, but I'l walk through what I did.

So you'll need pizza dough and pizza sauce. I used the Kraft boxed set - dough, sauce, Parmesan cheese, spices.

Mozzarella cheese. About 1-1.5 cups. Depends on how cheesy you like it! I've had it with just the parm alone or with cheddar instead of mozza. All have been good.

Veggies - whatever you like. I find this mix has the best combo of flavors - fresh mushrooms (about 8 sliced), red, yellow, orange pepper (1/4 of each chopped), green onion (1 bunch chopped), 1/2 white onion chopped. I also really like artichoke hearts, but didn't use them this month because I wasn't sure how the kiddies in the families would take them. For the meat eaters of the group, chicken is the one to add.

The magic ingredient - About half a bottle of Classico Sundried Tomato Pesto.   It's usually on the top shelf with the pasta sauces. Small bottle. There's a straight up pesto one as well, but the sundried is better for the pizza. I've used more or less depending on the size of the pizza and amount of veggies. Essentially, you want them all well coated.

Make the dough according to the package. Once I have it in a nice ball, I usually let it sit in a covered bowl in a warm oven for 10-15 minutes. Spray pizza pan. Spread dough on a pan. Once I have it spread as much as I can, I put it back in the warm oven for 2-3 minutes and then take it out to finish spreading. The warmth makes it much more pliable.

Toss the veggies (chicken if you're going that way) and pesto together in a bowl.

Spread pizza sauce over dough.
Spread veggies over sauce.
Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over veggies.
Sprinkle spices over cheese.
Top with mozzarella cheese.

Bake according to the pizza box. I just check the dough to make sure it's doing ok. I imagine baking from frozen will need a little extra time. I didn't cook these pizzas before freezing them.


No comments:

Post a Comment